Push It: Level 2
The Aim of the Game “Push It: Level 2” is to require a little more confidence and effort to get to their treat. This Canine Enrichment game can lead us down the road of more interesting tricks.
At the genius level, you can find balls that fit more snug into the container you are using.
- This is best played off leash in a secured environment
- Food or treats
- Balls of different sizes
- A Muffin Tin, Cones, or ramakins. You can use any container that fits the balls.
Step by Step
- Start by refreshing your push it cue from the prior Free Canine Enrichment Exercise – Push It. Place the treat under the ball and cue Push It for the dog to push it out of the way to get the treat.
- Repeat this a couple times until your dog is pushing it with enthusiasm.
- If you are using a muffin tin, start by only using 1 ball in one of the tins. Put the treat under the ball and cue push it.
- You may have to experiment with the size of the ball versus the container you are using. If the ball is too small, the dog will not have to dislodge the ball to get the treat. They will just eat around the ball (which is a fun enrichment too, just not what we are going for).
- If the ball is too tightly stuffed in the container, they may not be able to push it out of the way.
If your dog gets stuck:
- Dislodge the ball slightly so it is easier to push out of the way
- Put more treats or better tasting treats under the ball so they try harder
- Change the size of the container or the size of the ball to make it easier
- Increase your verbal encouragement
If you are using a muffin tin, the next level of the game would be to fill more of the tins with more balls. The balls can all be the same or make it different by using different sized balls. Be sure to hold the tin down as your dog is playing the game so they don’t just upend the whole thing and spoil the fun.
If your dog is older with sensitive teeth or doesn’t like balls, you can use soft toys as well.
If your dog switches to using their paws or just picking up the ball versus pushing it, that is fine.
This game is only limited to your imagination. You can use cones and balls. Ramakins and balls. Small plastic containers and balls. The options are endless