K9 Nose Work
Inspired by working detection dogs, K9 Nose Work is the fun search and scenting activity for virtually all dogs and people.
This easy-to-learn activity and sport builds confidence and focus in many dogs and provides a safe way to keep dogs fit and healthy through mental and physical exercise.
K9 Nose Work starts with getting your dog excited about using his nose to seek out a favorite toy or treat reward hidden in one of several boxes.
The game can be expanded to entire rooms, exterior areas, and vehicles.
As your dog grows more confident with his nose, target odors are introduced and competition skills are taught.
Prepare for a lifetime of fun with your dog and K9 Nose Work!
Some of the many benefits of K9 Nose Work:
- Dogs easily burn lots of mental & physical energy doing searches
- Searches can be done anywhere you can take your dog
- No prior training is required and no obedience is needed
- In classes, dogs work one at a time and are rested in a crate or in a vehicle between searches so reactive dogs can enjoy the activity too
- Shy or fearful dogs build confidence and overactive dogs put their energy into fun searches
- Stronger bond between dog & handler as handler learns to observe, understand, and rely upon his/her dog
Classes are 5 weeks long and $175. Classes are offered by certified instructors and typically meet once a week.
Things you'll learn in K9 Nose Work classes include:
- The importance of boxes
- Starting a dog on primary reward
- Moving the search beyond the box
- Patterns for more efficient searching
- Searching the elements: containers, interiors, exteriors, and vehicles
- Pairing to introduce a target odor
- Improving observation & handling skills
- Leash handling with short & long lines
- Proper reward delivery once the dog is searching for target odor only
K9 Nose Work classes are taught by one of our Certified Nose Work Instructors: Steve Detata & Jenn Wong.PURCHASE AND REGISTER FOR K9 NOSE WORK